Domestic violence is one of the most disturbing issues in today’s society. It cuts across developed and developing countries owing to several factors. Among these include:
- An inflated ego.
- A lack of self-esteem (deflated ego).
- Poor upbringing.
- Male chauvinism.
- Aggressive femininity.
- Archaic cultural beliefs.
- Poor educational backgrounds.
- Alcohol and substance abuse
Parents are the major perpetrators of domestic violence and as such, must be dissuaded against the practice. Unfortunately, children (1-15) are the greatest victims of domestic violence. They suffer through various ways such as:
- Dropping out of school.
- Losing friends due to stigmatization.
- Intense trauma.
- Intense depression
- Physical pain
- Denial of childhood
Parents must therefore stop subjecting their children to domestic violence whenever they have disagreements. Children are innocent and must be protected by their first line of defense, that is, their own parents.
Here are some ways for parents to seek help to be better for their children:
- Regular visits to the psychiatrist. This could be weekly or monthly.
- Regular family talks/meetings that promote cohesion in the family.
- Valuing family activities such as dining together and going out together. These improve bonding.
- Talking to other family members and friends.
- Practicing forgiveness for mistakes done to each other.
- Loving the children unconditionally and spending as much time as possible with them.
- Being open minded to change such as, less alcoholism and drug addiction.
- Going to church and seeking spiritual help.
“Children have emotions, more than us the adults. We must take care of their fragile minds and hearts”.Henry’s Care Initiative Quotes.
If at all parents can keep their cool, then the children are less likely to suffer. The family will be close-knit and enjoy as much of peace and love as possible. This will create happier families and happier countries.
Together, we can eliminate domestic violence, more so against children.